When you go to the store to pick out a new toothbrush, are you overwhelmed by ALL of the options?! Over your lifetime, you will spend nearly 1,000 hours brushing your teeth! So, you might as well find one that gets the job done effectively and comfortably!
Our #1 pick is ALWAYS a Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush. Always. It does the BEST job at cleaning, plaque removal and overall tooth and gum health. We cannot recommend it enough.
If you prefer a manual toothbrush, consider the following when making your decision:
- Any toothbrush you choose should have soft bristles. Hard bristles may cause gum tissue to pull back from teeth, which can expose the tooth root and lead to increased sensitivity to heat, cold or certain foods and drinks.
- Select a toothbrush head size that can easily fit into the mouth and can brush one to two teeth at a time (the general size is 1″ long and ½” wide).
- Powered toothbrushes don’t clean teeth any better than regular toothbrushes. However, if a powered toothbrush motivates you to clean your teeth more often and for the required length of time, it is worth the investment.
- Powered toothbrushes are better choices than manual toothbrushes for anyone who needs assistance brushing teeth, including people with arthritis (or any condition that may limit mobility), anyone wearing braces or people with misaligned or uneven teeth surfaces that make a thorough cleaning more challenging.
- Replace your toothbrush (or toothbrush head for a powered toothbrush) as soon as the bristles begin to look worn or frayed (usually every three months). A worn toothbrush does not do a good job of cleaning your teeth. Remember always to replace your toothbrush after an illness.
If you are shopping for a child, select a toothbrush with the following characteristics:
- Soft bristles (for gentle cleaning)
- Very small heads (designed for baby teeth)
- Large handles (easier for children to grip)
As always, ask us if you need help! We are more than happy to assist!